Are you ready to take your first class at Hot Yoga Houston?
We look forward to seeing you soon! A regular yoga practice will change your life in so many ways. Some of the benefits regular practitioners experience are: weight loss, reduced stress, and improved balance, strength and flexibility.
Please arrive at least 20 minutes before your first class begins to complete registration and orientation. Pre-registration is currently required.
Classes begin and end as scheduled. For your well-being and out of consideration for the rest of the class, please show up on time. All new students get 10 free classes when they sign up for a package on their first day – come see us at the front desk to ask us how it works!
What You Will Need For Your First Class
It’s normal to feel nervous before your first yoga class. Many people do! But don’t let that stop you from coming. Every class is designed for beginners, so our teachers will guide you through learning the postures with compassion and expertise.
Keep these tips in mind, and you’ll be prepared to have a great class!
- Drink plenty of water throughout day before taking class. Half your body weight in ounces of water should be consumed at least 45 minutes before class begins.
- Arrive 20 minutes early for your first class to meet the teacher, register and get a quick studio tour.
- Try each posture to the best of your ability, but always listen to your body. Take breaks if needed, but your goal is to stay in the room the entire class.
- Dress in cool, comfortable clothes, such as running or biking shorts. Women typically wear sports bras or fitted tank tops.
- No one will look at you or judge you during class. Other students are working too hard to even notice you, and the teacher will guide you with compassion and respect.
- Make up your mind to take 10 classes as quickly as possible. Take your second class within 24 hours to receive the equivalent of three to four classes combined.
- Bring a yoga mat, large towel and water to class. These items are available for purchase at the studio as well.
- Don’t judge your entire practice by your first class. The students who make the yoga look easy have been where you are, but they kept trying—and you can too!
What is Hot Yoga?
Original Hot Yoga is always hot! The Bikram method is the style of yoga that Hot Yoga Houston has been teaching since its founding in 1995. This original hot yoga has been widely featured in the press for many years, renowned for its miraculous healing ability.
By following a specific series of 26 yoga postures and two breathing exercises in a room regulated at 105 degrees and 40 percent humidity, you will not only work every part of the body by the end of class, but also provide fresh, highly oxygenated blood to every part as well.
The heat will allow you to stretch deeper into your muscles safely without risking injury, and each posture builds on the one before that compounds the benefits you gain as the class progresses and as you practice consistently.
Some of the most common benefits you could experience are restored range of motion in your joints, expanded lung capacity, weight loss, peace of mind, and improved balance, strength and flexibility.
Every class is a beginner’s class, so all are welcome! Our teachers at Hot Yoga Houston are trained to teach anyone, from challenging regular practitioners to encouraging beginning students, with compassion and respect.