It’s normal to feel nervous before your first yoga class. Many people do! But don’t let that stop you from coming. Every class is designed for beginners, so our teachers will guide you through learning the postures with compassion and expertise.
Keep these tips in mind, and you’ll be prepared to have a great class!
- Drink plenty of water throughout day before taking class. Half your body weight in ounces of water should be consumed at least 45 minutes before class begins.
- Arrive 20 minutes early for your first class to meet the teacher, register and get a quick studio tour.
- Try each posture to the best of your ability, but always listen to your body. Take breaks if needed, but your goal is to stay in the room the entire class.
- Dress in cool, comfortable clothes, such as running or biking shorts. Women typically wear sports bras or fitted tank tops.
- No one will look at you or judge you during class. Other students are working too hard to even notice you, and the teacher will guide you with compassion and respect.
- Make up your mind to take 10 classes as quickly as possible. Take your second class within 24 hours to receive the equivalent of three to four classes combined.
- Bring a yoga mat, large towel and water to class. These items are available to rent of for purchase at the studio as well.
- Don’t judge your entire practice by your first class. The students who make the yoga look easy have been where you are, but they kept trying—and you can too!